Commemoration on the 41st anniversary of the fall of Tahir Meha


With the demonstrations of 1981, Kosovo had entered a new phase of a decade of strong resistance to the occupying power of Serbia. In order to eliminate the insurgent and disobedient Albanian persons, the Belgrade regime had intended to arrest such a figure: Tahir Meha from the village of Prekaz in Drenica. Coordinated with the Serbian police in Mitrovica, the Skenderaj police commander, Zvetko Jaredi, surrounded Tahir Meha’s house with police forces on 13 May 1981. They naively believed that they could arrest Tahir and, after taking the trophy for them, leave to Hotel Pranvera in Skenderaj to celebrate 13th of May, Yugoslavia Police Day. But their calculations had been done wrong. Tahir Meha was determined not to give up. He refused to surrender even after the mediation of Jahir Rama from Prekazi and Zena Luta from Klina e Poshtme. It was the order of the Federal Minister of Internal Affairs of Yugoslavia, Franjo Herljeviq, that Tahir Meha be arrested or eliminated at all costs.

The police tried to catch him alive, for which they attacked him with tear gas and tried four times to enter his tower, but Tahiri managed to resist together with his father Nebih Meha. On that day, they wounded five and killed four police officers: Salih Hasanoviq, Vojo Tubiqi, Milenko Pejoviq dhe and Muhamet Selmanaj. Around 15:00, the police were reinforced with tanks, which bombed Tahiri’s tower until the evening, but Tahiri continued to resist. Shortly before midnight, Tahiri came out of the tower, threw a hand grenade at the nearest tank and managed to cross the first and second rounds, before being shot to death. At his funeral, the police did not allow mass participation, however, among those who buried him was Shaban Jashari along with his two sons, Hamza and Adem, who swore on Tahiri’s grave to continue his journey. Even six months after the murders of Tahir and Nebih, their ruined tower was guarded by the police, while Tahir’s brother, Beqiri, and his uncle, Mehmeti, were held in prison for six months. Adem Jashari’s comrade-in-arms, Beqir Meha, would be martyred in the KLA uniform on 25 March 1999. With his resistance, Tahir Meha continued the tradition of his grandfather, Emin Lati, Azem Bejta’s comrade-in-arms. Tahir Meha fell victim to his national political ideals, and in the chain of the history of resistance and the war for the liberation of Kosovo, the case of Tahir Meha is the link that was followed by that of Adem and Hamza Jashari during the 90s.

Last year, together with Bekim Hamza Jashari, we uncovered the busts of Tahir Meha, Nebih Meha, Beqir Meha and Emin Lati in the courtyard of their tower in Prekaz, on the 40th anniversary of the fall of Tahir and Nebih Meha.

Glory to the martyr of the nation Tahir Meha and glory to Nebih Meha, Beqir Meha and Emin Lati as well as to all the fallen heroes for the liberation and freedom of Kosovo!